Visiting the Past
A blue-eyed doll, made of celluloid, was born in America. . . .
In the mid 1920s, Blue-eyed Dolls were given to Japan as friendship messengers from America. During that period this song of Ujo Noguchi was sung.
One of the dolls was given to Kutsukake Elementary School. On April 21, 1927, they held a grand "American Doll Welcoming Ceremony" at the school.
The photo shows the school at that time. In the center, the person raising the doll over his head is the principal at that time, Mr. Ryuhei Kikuchi. At the school, there remains a record that as a return gift they sent picture postcards and photos of the welcoming ceremony.
Contributed by Kutsukake Elementary School
Return to Receipt of Dolls in Japan
Translation of Japanese web page